Todd Piett joined a start-up called Rave Wireless to lead marketing and, on his way to becoming CEO in 2017, helped the company pivot from higher education communications to mobile safety applications. Now called Rave Mobile Safety, the company posted its tenth straight year of revenue growth in 2020, driven by innovative apps for smart 911 service, school panic buttons, and emergency alerts on corporate campuses. Todd is an articulate proponent of the principle that safety is a human right, which government and other large organizations have a duty to ensure. In this Growth Journeys podcast, Todd and TCV GP Kapil Venkatachalam discuss the evolution of “citizen safety,” how Rave successfully changed its business model, and how the company is innovating to bring modern communications to a traditional customer base. Other themes in the conversation include:
- Why safety is at the core of many fundamental human rights
- How technology has evolved to transform citizen safety systems
- How safety apps differ from most others
- Keeping a management team intact in a dynamic, high-growth environment
- How schools are adapting Rave apps for COVID-19 challenges
For all this and more, settle back and click play.